Course Selection for CURRENT GHS Students
Course selection begins Monday, April 12, 2021 and ends on Friday, April 23, 2021 at 2:15 pm.
Courses will be selected using a unique, grade level link through Microsoft Forms.
On this page, you will find the following information:
Grade level links to course selection forms
Elective Focus Information Page
GHS Honors Policy
Information about course substitutions, Alternate PE credits, Foreign Language Waivers, and courses taken in 8th grade/middle school.
**Questions/concerns should be EMAILED to the CURRENT grade level counselor. Email addresses are listed below.
Students who do not submit forms on time will have courses chosen for them based on need, availability, and space. Those students will have no input in their course selection, and schedules WILL NOT be changed in the fall.
If you are a former or partial IB student, Ms. Morris will continue to be your counselor through graduation. Please click HERE to select your courses.
Course selection steps for current 9th grade students/parents:
Contact Ms. Clemmensen, 9th Grade Counselor, with questions!
For current 10th and 11th grade students/parents:
- Review TN Graduation Requirements (see below).
- Review your Grade History in PowerSchool. Click on “Grade History” on the left side of the screen then choose the school years you want to review. This would include high school, as well as any grades from 8th grade for which you earned a high school credit that will appear on your transcript.
- Click on the link to the form for your correct grade level.
- Completely fill out the form including demographic information.
- Submit the form by the deadline of Friday, April 23, 2021 at 2:15 pm.
Current 10th grade students/parents should contact Ms. Lee with questions.
Current 11th grade students/parents should contact Dr. Willingham with questions.
For question for the Senior Counselor, please contact Ms. Odom.
For college/career questions, please contact Ms. Norman.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or
For former, current, or future students in the Pre-IB or IB Programme, please contact Ms. Morris, IB Counselor, with questions.
Tennessee Minimum Course Requirements for Graduation
SCS Promotion Requirements
- To be promoted to 10th grade, you must earn a minimum of 5 credits including English 9.
- To be promoted to 11th grade, you must earn a minimum of 11 credits including English 9 and 10.
- To be promoted to 12th grade, you must earn a minimum of 16 credits including English 9, 10, and 11.
- Failure to meet these requirements will result in the student being retained. There are no exceptions to this policy.
- Students who attend summer school will not be promoted to the next grade level until GHS receives the SS grades and transcripts have been updated. This usually occurs after school begins in the fall.
Additional Information Regarding Credits/Requirements
*Alternate PE Credit:
Clarification on courses taken in 8th grade
Waiving Foreign Language (FL) /Fine Arts (FA) Requirements
Requirements for Admission into
**This information is subject to change based on SCS Policy.
Elective Focus Options
Elective Focus areas are decided during the 9th or 10th grade year and must be followed through graduation. This does not mean that students cannot choose additional electives, but they must earn the necessary courses within their focus areas once they begin in that area.